Penelope's Birth Story

I have been wanting to document Penny's birth story but you have a brand new baby and suddenly they want all your attention.. weird. I did write this down right after it happened but the though of putting it with the pictures seemed too daunting, so I'm just now getting around to it.

I was able to schedule an induction for the 8th of December. Knowing exactly when you will meet your little one is both comforting and nerve racking all at the same time. We knew when she was going to arrive so we were able to be completely prepared. We stocked the house with essentials, double checked our bags, finalized the nursery and re arrange work schedules. We never got the exciting realization the contractions were starting but I'm OK with that. I'm very much a planner and this birth was much more my style. Maybe the next child will be more of a surprise.

We arrived at the hospital early monday morning. I had been dilated to about a 2 for a few weeks. The Dr.  arrived and broke my water. The contractions started to get real bad and I just kept thinking there is no reason for me to continue to be in pain, I knew I was going to get an epidural. I just wanted to kinda see how they felt. Whelp been there done that, give me the dang drugs! Guys I HATE needles, like HATE them, even getting a flu shot gives me anxiety for days before. I'm not going to lie, I started to cry and began shaking. This is the only thing I was nervous for. Not labor, not having a brand new baby, I was scared for the needle. I leaned over shaking, when she finally gave it to me I immediately said "oh that's not bad" it was nothing, getting the IV was way worse then the epidural.

At about 1pm I was dilated to a 7. Family started to show up. "The miracle of life sure is a snoozefest" (10 points if you know were thats from.) At about 3pm I was an 8 and they guessed that I would deliver in about 1 1/12 or 2 hours. I started to get so excited. To think that I was so close to seeing my daughter. At about 4 the nurse had me start to push, she said Penny was facing the wrong way and she wanted to try and turn her around. I pushed real hard for about 5 contractions and Penny turned. I was so relieved. I had to stop pushing so we could wait for the doctor to arrive. When the Dr. arrived and I pushed 1 1/2 times and my little, perfect baby girl was here. I was able to watch her being born and I have to say I never thought I would want to watch but it was incredible. I was very fortunate to have a mildly uneventful labor.

Obviously I fell instantly in love with her, how could you not? My wonderful, talented friend Ciara was the capture it all with her camera. I am so lucky to have these pictures to go back to and remember exactly how I felt.


Comments