Thursday, October 10, 2013

Reno 911

We needed a bathroom reno pronto. And instead of Reno like the place. It's reno, as in renovation, try and keep up.

Since we moved into our first home a few years ago our bathroom had slowly gotten worse and worse. The paint was bubbling, cracking and actually running down the walls onto the tile. There was the beginnings of mold in a spot or two, and the paint on the windowsill, located in shower, was starting to crack and chip off.   It was the embarrassment of the house. We continued to procarastinate (much like I do in every aspect of my life, hence this blog post when we have already moved into a new house) until the mold started to show up. sick.

It was time to get our butts into gear.

First Derrik had to install a bathroom fan, which was a major factor in all the problems we were having in the bathroom.  Since we had to repaint the walls, and the people that we bought the house from thought it would be a really good idea to paint the ceiling to match the walls, we had to repaint the ceiling too but first we had to remove all the amazing ceiling texture job (sense the sarcasm). Then patch all the holes.Then we had to strip all the layers of paint off the windowsill, then sand, sand and sand a little more. The walls needed a lot of help too. Since the paint had started to mold, bubble and chip away we had to clean and sand the walls down. Luckily our bathroom is abnormally small and there is tile that comes about halfway up on all walls.

Now time to paint. We used oil based primer on the walls, window frame, ceiling and cabinet door, we decided to do 2 coats of primer to be safe. Then we painted the ceiling basic white, which I firmly believe every ceiling color should be. For the walls we chose a dark navy/gray color that matched well with my towels and since we have white tile halfway up the wall and a white curtain the dark color would add some drama.

We started with the mold, cleaned it real good with bleach.

Because the ceiling was painted the same color as the walls, 
a yellow/tanish color, and then had the same color of texture 
put on it it was next to impossible to simply just repaint the ceiling. 
We had to remove all the texture first.
We had to scrape, fill holes, and sand.

Then we stripped and sanded, sanded, and sanded some more
 the window sill in the shower (whoever thought a window 
with a wood frame in a shower was a good idea was very wrong. 

Here is the paint "dripping" down the walls and onto the tile

Then came the priming. We primed the ceiling, 
walls, and window frame. 2 coats to be safe.

The picture doesn't even do this reno justice